Tuesday, August 25, 2026

No Stupid Names

bandwagon
First of all, throw out the common knowledge.

  • False cognates are good. "Herpys" is an excellent elf name. Glancing at my list, I have "Odd" and "Snorri" on it; you best BELIEVE those bastards will be strange and sleepy respectively.
  • Alphabet soup is good; the less vowels in a name, the better. I like how leaving out vowels forces you to fill in the gaps in mental pronunciation. (This is a setting-dependent theme.)
  • Unintended cross-linguistic double entendres are good; use Google translate to seed more of them. The Spear Mountain, why, that must be Ben Gae, the gayest mountain on the continent.

"Don't do this, don't do that" Just DO!!!!!

Common wisdom says reusing an NPC is better than inventing a new one, since old NPCs come with baggage. Baggage is more fun than a blank! there's lots of straps and hooks to latch on to, lots of context to consider. Unspoken context matters because without it the only thing players have to riff on is what the gm tells them.

Using familiar words as names has the same effect: it loads up the character with preexisting connotations and expectations, it colors in the gaps. The alternative to a name that means something (like Herpys) is a name that means nothing. (This is also why it's good to use famous names, like Rhianna, and Jesus.)

[i mentioned themes earlier. What I'm really talking about is patterns. A name like Hdrf means nothing; two characters named Hdrf and Mdrf, are clearly brothers.]

All this to say, I don't believe in dumb mistakes, just dumb decisions, which we should all be making at industrial scale and speed.

What I Actually Do

Here's the Cath name list and the Doggerlands name list. (i do my own stunts)

They're mostly real historical names with some fake ass bullshit mixed in. Cath features a Nwnvyr, demonymic of the ambiguously pronounced realm of Nwn. The dogs sometimes get names like Nefermoor and MacHotep because they have a little egyptian in the mix. Mostly real, a little silly. 

For the 6 manors characters, I moved much faster. Bridget fixes the bridge. Cardwin gambles. Summers Daley is a gloomy freak. Sargasso-- you get the idea. (It's easier when you tell yourself they're just placeholders.) Once the easy ones were done, I filled in the rest based on the first letter of their closest relative's name.

I roll once on a list if I don't have a pun locked and loaded; twice and combine if I want the name to feel twice as important. (Celd names tend to agglutinate.)

I also make up arbitrary naming rules for certain character types to create the illusion of consistency.

  • If I need a demon name, I say the name without closing my lips and transcribe whatever sound comes out. (because they have big tusks)
  • My wizards are named after colors.
  • My royals are named after their virtues, like Harmoneigh and Awesome Force.

Having a fairy rule and a demon rule and a princess rule leads naturally into having a rule for this and that kingdom or culture. Layering those rules on top of my existing lists helps keep things connected.

Otherwise I just do what Ro does so go read that


rudimentary insights memetically phrased

  • Curate a list of real names/words. Use it aggressively.
  • Make up arbitrary rules and follow them.
  • Use names that make you smile, even if they're stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment