Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Never Have I Ever as Character Introduction

by alcd
 

Two random peasants are sitting at a big round table in the local tavern. Already a little tipsy, they invite the PCs (interesting strangers as they are) to sit and join them for a friendly drinking game.

It’s an ancient game; they call it “Never Have I Ever.”

Give the peasants names. They're curious about the folks from out of town and generally rambunctious. Roll a d40 whenever its a peasant’s turn to ask. Skip whatever’s uncomfortable. The peasants go first:

  1. Never have I ever ridden a horse
  2. Never have I ever lost a fight
  3. Never have I ever seen a dragon fly
  4. Never have I ever stolen from a sacred place
  5. Never have I ever been arrested
  6. Never have I ever been married
  7. Never have I ever run away from home
  8. Never have I ever climbed out of a window
  9. Never have I ever eaten a magical creature
  10. Never have I ever cursed in a sacred place
  11. Never have I ever met the duke
  12. Never have I ever met a royal
  13. Never have I ever respected a royal
  14. Never have I ever fought a knight
  15. Never have I ever gone to war
  16. Never have I ever had my fortune told
  17. Never have I ever stolen from a friend
  18. Never have I ever met a wizard
  19. Never have I ever blamed alcohol for something I said
  20. Never have I ever ate an entire roast by myself
  21. Never have I ever saved a life
  22. Never have I ever been stabbed
  23. Never have I ever got a tattoo
  24. Never have I ever met a fairy
  25. Never have I ever started a fire where I shouldn’t’ve
  26. Never have I ever lied to a friend
  27. Never have I ever met a mermaid
  28. Never have I ever lied about my age
  29. Never have I ever made up a story about someone who wasn’t real
  30. Never have I ever met a ghost
  31. Never have I ever role-played
  32. Never have I ever tried blue lotus (or the local drug equivalent)
  33. Never have I ever worn someone else’s undergarments
  34. Never have I ever paid for sex
  35. Never have I ever fallen asleep during sex
  36. Never have I ever had sex with a wizard
  37. Never have I ever had sex with a nun/monk
  38. Never have I ever had sex with more than one person in 24 hours
  39. Never have I ever had sex with more than one person at once
  40. Never have I ever had sex with a member of a different species

Pros:

  • Ideal for new role-players: everyone gets practice acting as their characters in a safe, non-challenging environment.
  • Roleplaying decisions are fast and easy: has your character done this or haven’t they?
  • The game is designed to reveal embarrassing moments rather than heroic ones.
  • It's an opportunity to share personal character flaws.
  • It’s an opportunity to flesh out everyone’s characters.
  • It’s an opportunity to endear the party to the town and its locals.
  • It’s an opportunity to role-play getting drunk in character.
  • It’s an opportunity to get drunk in real life.

Cons:

  • It's a silly anachronism.
  • Doesn’t immediately lead to adventure.
  • Might be a giant waste of time.

Liches Libram did a much more in depth analysis of this type of roleplaying encounter. IMO for a group of new players, fresh off an intro dungeon and looking to mingle with the locals, simple is best. Two truths and a lie also probably works.

(After writing this post, I found a Reddit story of exactly this: here)


No comments:

Post a Comment