Saturday, September 3, 2022

[Gygax 75] Hitting a Wall

I'm doing a worldbuilding challenge. The story so far:

Gygax 75
Week 1 - The Setting
Week 2 - Carving out the Valley
Week 3 - Into the Mines
Week 4 - The dungeon, continued...

Classes have started, so progress has been slow. To lower the hurdles for myself, I'm trying a new technique.

The idea is based in 5 Room Dungeons. Entrance, puzzle, setback, boss fight, reward/twist: these basic components, rearranged and remixed, can form into a basic dungeon very quickly.

In trying to Jaquays the first two levels of Ashroot Mine (working title), I've seen a similar pattern emerging: a loop consisting of entrance, obstacle, alt. route, exit, and reward. In this way, the

that helps split the mine into chunks worth roughly one session

...

Y'know what, I'm busy. I have stuff to show for this week, but it isn't very conducive to a well-manicured blog post. In order to not trick myself into pushing the post deadline forward, I'm just going to keep making progress on my own.

For the time being, enjoy these sketches.

my ghosts are cnidarians for no good reason

some cool wiki imgs I use for reference

1 comment:

  1. Neat sketches - it's always interesting to see another person's notebook, how they structure their thoughts and so on.

    ReplyDelete